HOME > Support for International Students > Insurance
All foreign students must be insured locally and abroad in order to receive safe treatment for unexpected illness and injury.
□ Collective insurance for foreign students
1. Sign up : Students can either pay for insurance with their registration fees or individually visit and apply for insurance at the International Office.
2. Compensation scheme
|injury and disease
||death, stress disorder
|hospital bill (charges)
||10% Student Deductible
||10,000~20,000won Student Co-pay per visit
|Charges for compounding prescription
||8,000 won Student Co-pay per visit
※ Collective insurance for injury from the concept of affordable health insurance of private insurance company (Not national health insurance)
※ Those who are willing to buy national health insurance should refer to the bottom contents.
3. Insurance Claim
- Necessary documents : Claim application form, Copy of Alien Registration Card, Receipt of Hospital bill, Receipt of compounding prescription, medical certificate (only for a bill of 50,000 won or more)
4. Inquiry : The Korean Education Safety and Mutual Association
- Phone : 070-7848-2012
- Fax : 070-7614-2512
- Mail Address : (11948) 403 4th floor, Godeok Plaza 28 Cheyukgwan-ro, Guri-si, Gyeonggi-do, Republic of Korea
- administrator in charge: Kim Hyeonseo
□ National Health Insurance (Regional Insurance Applicant)
1. How to sign up : apply to the National Health Insurance Cooperation (NHIC) with your Alien Registration Card and a certificate of enrollment.
2. Premium : About 45,000 won per month as of 2015
- Foreign students have equal medical benefits to Korean Citizens within the plan.
- The NHIC covers 80% of overall medical costs from a hospital or clinic, and 50% to 70% of costs for outpatient treatment. Moreover, expenses for childbirth are also supported and a variety of services for health information and disease prevention are provided.
4. Inquiry: The National Health Insurance Cooperation (NHIC)
- Homepage: www.nhis.or.kr
- Phone : 1577-1000(Whole Country), (02)390-2000(Call center only in English)